Monday, September 12, 2005

classroom wisdom

I was subbing at the elementary school the other day and this quote was hanging in the classroom. I was really inspired by it and I wanted to share it with you guys.

"A day spent without the sight or sound of beauty, the contemplation of mystery, or the search for truth or perfection, is a poverty-stricken day; and a succession of such days is fatal to human life." -Lewis Mumford

Since I read this I have been thinking about whether or not my days are filled with these things. I decided that they used to be but I've greatly neglected them. I've been neglecting the most important things and for no good reason. God is at the center of these things. I want to open my eyes again, for all the beauty and mystery and loveliness and truth. If you want to, post in the comments section how this quote affects you and what ways you fill your days with these things.-a

2 comments:

The Talbot Family said...

i've been thinking so much lately about the God centered aspects of creativity, adventure and love.

the most exciting thing about what's coming out of the "emerging" church is the grasp on the things of beauty that we can't necessarily articulate or define. the life that somehow defines us rather than we defining it.

and i think a lot of what i do isn't different. it's the definition that changes. things begin to slow down, becoming richer in quality and content.

great quote. thanks a.

rosie said...

I feel the closest I get to these moments so often involve you Amber. Driving in the Squareback with the windows down, laughing. Getting coffee and talking about everything or nothing. Take heart frined, you are part of those moments still.