Thursday, January 05, 2006

This morning I got up early and went to Snow Summit to pick up a Christmas gift to me from the company. It was a ham and a bottle of wine! I felt very corporate receiving such a gift and it made me laugh. But I certainly won't complain, tonight we will be having a lovely dinner and it will make the holidays last a little longer. Afterward I grabbed a quick cup of coffee and headed to my new job. That's right friends, I have a new job! Although I'll still be teaching skiing and snowboarding on Saturdays (so you all can still be hooked up with lift tickets) , Monday-Friday I am working at DOVES domestic violence shelter. I just started this job and so far I really like it. For the first time, in quite a long time, I feel like I am headed in the direction that I want to be going and I'm making a bit of a difference. When I got here this morning I found out that one of our domestic violence counselors resigned and her position is now open. I really want that job. For now I am the shelter secretary. It's a silly title, really, because I do just about everything there is to do here. But the DV counselor job is exactly what I want to do. I would work at the outreach center office and counsel domestic violence victims and their families on a daily basis. These would be people that do not live in our shelter but are locals needing help. If I'm going to pursue becoming a therapist and put time and money into grad school, then I definately need this experience. After all, what if I hate it? Then I can go in a different direction before I spend a lot of time in this field. I can run away and become a writer. Anyway, I'm giving you way more information then you want to know. I basically just wanted to ask that you guys would pray for me. I get a buzz just thinking about getting the job, so I would appreciate your prayers. Thanks!-a

Also, why don't you bums come to Big Bear more? We miss our friends and we've been coming down to the rough city quite a bit lately. So it's your turn!

11 comments:

rosie said...

one step closer to being a true "drunken secretary". miss you bestie and i'm proud of you.

lindsay anne said...

yes, congrats on the new job, dearest. it sounds right up your alley.

also, i do want to come to big bear. considering i have been out of town for like 3 weeks straight, i might need to give it a few weeks - but i will come!

ms. tea said...

we want to come up soon. and i will be praying for that position for you. and if you get it and hate it, let me know because i would love a job like that, and at this point, im not going to rule out moving to the mountains to get away from my current job.

glad you still have the lift ticket hook-up i must say.

Matt Pool said...

we have a lot of job openings at DOVES. move to big bear! that would be so much fun. we could go to friar tuck's every night and listen to the jukeobx and eat popcorn. when you and phil come up we are going to discuss this.-a

Matt Pool said...

yes lindsay, you especially need to come up because it has been a LONG time. i promise breakfast and coffee. we can play ski ball. anyway, i'm going to call you today.-a

ms. tea said...

yes, we shall talk about this, and since i quit gave notice at my job today i wil have a lot more free time for big bear coming up.

Matt Pool said...

Good for you! Damn the man!

Linna said...

HELLO~~~
umm... yes I got the package...I loved it..I called you...I even wrote you back my wonderful pen pal...Did you not get my responses to your gesture of love. Well I am very sorry cause i loved it all so much and I am even wearing some of the lotion right now. I am working on your present...consider it a new year ...happy spring gift to come.
If you are mad at me... please accept my apology. your gift was wonderful....like you.
I'll call you soon!
write me a pen pal letter

Matt Pool said...

i'm so glad that you got it. I was a little worried because, as Kramer said, "...mail blows, fax it to a friend".
i just checked my mail box and there was a letter from you awaiting me! I will be sending you one in return this week, I love pen pals! i miss you and your kisses. -a

The Talbot Family said...

any word on the new job? when will you know?
we're very proud of you!

we tried to come to BB but at the damn they said "no ultra cool peeps allowed"

bummer

Matt Pool said...

yeah, i heard that about them not letting the "ultra cool peeps" in. but we took care of it, so if you guys want to try again you should be clear.

i'm not sure what is going on with the new job. our organization is in chaos at the moment, but i'll definately keep you posted. thanks for being such great friends. maybe i should come work for you...