Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Nerd

Lately I've developed a fascination with nerdy things. Things that are not nerdy at the surface, but become sometimes very nerdy when i give them the amount of attention that I have been giving them, or desire from them the amount of knowledge that I've been desiring from them.
For example: Polynesian history, zoology and paleozoology, capitalism, model railroads, architecture and the American arts and crafts movement, linguistics, and cartography to name a few.
It's strange, this transformation from the young, social, on the go, pursuer of all things hip, to the not as young, lazy, introvert, beer drinker who shops for globes at thrift stores.
Apparently we grow up.
All this to say the doors of curiosity have been re-opened to one of my personal favorite nerdy things.
Disney.
I am hot on the trail of the history of Disney. The channel, the hotel, the world, and most importantly the man, and the land.
We went to Disneyland yesterday. Everything was dressed up in celebration of the 50th year anniversary. I have always loved Disneyland. Who wouldn't. Acually, I know some who don't. Morons. I have been a pass holder a few times, I have gone many times, and I have set a true affection on that park. Throughout my years of going to Disneyland I have become somewhat of a purist. For example, I wanted to burn down Tarzan's climb when it replaced the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I wept when The Country Bear Jamboree became The Many Adventures of Whinnie the Pooh. And a fire was lit in my heart yesterday when I saw that the little catfish place on the Rivers of America had become a McDonalds french fry and coke stand. These things are crimes. These things make little kids fat. These things make me sad.
There are so many things I would like to touch on. I may even start a Disneyland blog. For now, I'll read what Al Lutz has to say.
My question to you is this:
Stick with and fix up what the people know and love? Or, out with the old in with the new?

7 comments:

lindsay anne said...

I went to Disneyland on Sunday and thought MANY of the same thoughts. Tarzan is no substitute for the swiss family robinson. thats just madness. or marketing. either way, I don't approve.

pedronegro said...

I love your passion for Disneyland. It has always made me smile. To think that things will always be the same is just a selfish thought. Let me explain. (and dont get me wrong I thought that swiss family robinson was way better than tarzan) We (or should I say "I") loved swiss family robinson because I loved the story as a kid. I related with it and I would climb those stairs and walk the rope bridge and imagine living there with my family. Kids now days have never heard of swiss family robinson. But they have heard of Tarzan. I think we need to remember that to them it is the same experience and though it may not be great to you. You could find joy in watching the excitement in a childs face as he runs down the same rope bride you did as a kid and be excited for him. This tension is the same thing that I am always stressed out about the church. Do we change to something new? OR enjoy the long traditions of the past? I think that we would all agree that there needs to be some changes made in the church, and im sure that Disneyland is ok with some too. Sorry this is so long. I miss you Matt

The Talbot Family said...

i too was sad at the thought of disneyland changing and then i took ewan there. to see his face light up when he got to travel through the land of pooh was pure joy. he cried when he had to leave tarzan while josh was crying cuz he had to say goodbye to the robinsons family. i miss you guys. viva la walt!!!!!-nadia

The Talbot Family said...

here here! The old is so nostalgic and beautiful that it almost hurts. So many good memories and so much fun. But i think we dampen Walt's vision when we get all bent about the change. We waste our time whining about what's not there and forget to enjoy what is.

But on Disney Lore:
We Got "Then, Now and Forever" last time we were there. It talks about the History of the park as well as each ride. Very cool stuff.

This looks pretty good to: 101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland: An Unauthorized Look At The Little Touches And Inside Jokes

-josh

JP said...

first of all, they paid great tribute to Walt with the 50th parade, and in that they included all the originals. I dont think disneyland has any intention of getting rid of trdition or classics, they have to continue to change things to keep kids feeling the way we wdid when we were little. remember when splash mountain was brand new and we were obsessed with it? well one day it might be something else, but some other kids will have the same experience we did with the new. let me esplain... there is no time... let me sumup. in order to experience disneyland you have to dedicate at least 3 days to it. i had fun, thanks for the birthday suprise.

rosie said...

Matt,
I'm not sure how i feel on the Disney issue, but if there was a Matt Pool park I'd have a yearly pass. There would be mini train models, arts and crafts corner, Frank Lloyd Wright exhibits, and a general all-around good time. Man I love you...in all your nerdiness.

TW said...

I do agree with you and am too saddened at changes...I actually sat in the disney gallery and listened to 30 year olds complain about changes as well, some I agreed with, while some which I thought were now the best parts of the park. I think with disney they need to choose timeless and tested things, that's why space mountain, the jungle cruise, and much of fantasy land work so well. Indiana jones is a rather recent phenomenon but somehow it can also slip into that category. Gummi Bear boats (from the kcal afternoon cartoon redecoration was a horrible idea...and they gladly took it away). However, I think looking at websites which feature what disneyland used to have easily show that there was some pretty bad stuff in the 60's and 70's which needed to go. Personally I think Star Tours needs to go, purely because that ride manages to be the only ride like that (screen and motion sorts) that still makes me sick. I want a year round Pool-land pass as well. I've got a check made out already, just waiting for the amount. Miss you guys.