Monday, April 10, 2006

Good Afternoon, Welcome to Big Bear.

When I'm not drafting or building or maintaining, I'm in the vacation business, or the travel business if you will. I take reservations, book rooms, check in guests, as well as give recommendations for ski rentals and restaraunts and hiking trails. Usually I hate this very much. It's not easy being surrounded by people who are fresh on holiday, excited about buying souvenirs and sleeping in and drinking cosmopolitans. However I've found that with a little effort and a slight adjustment in attitude, my position here can be quite enjoyable. It's a lot like what I imagine Christmas as a father would be like. For example, it's not about you as it is about them. You've had your turn, or will soon. You're in control of first impressions. You set the mood. You can sneak off to the kitchen for a quick brandy blazer and be back before the kids put the batteries into Teddy Ruxpin.
So I don't know if battery operated talking bears have much to do with it, but other than that this is how I feel. Check in day is like Christmas. Our customers are like children. I'm the first person they see. I set the mood. I give them things, not gifts, but room keys and maps, and I send them off in the right direction.
I like to think that I'm a significant part of these peoples time away from home. I like to think that I just might play a role in helping them enjoy their vacation that much more. I like to think that even though I would rather be on vacation, while I'm not, I will do what I can to be a part of or as close to the active remains of the worlds community of travelers.

2 comments:

Matt Pool said...

you should be a motivational speaker for Marriott or Hilton!
i love you.-a

Anonymous said...

as i'm reading this at work, i find myself quite encouraged... thanks for the perspective