Thursday, April 06, 2006

memory

a few winters ago, when i lived by myself above the liquor store and rosie and suzanne lived in "the slum", suzanne and i had nothing to do. as on most occasions when we have nothing to do we found ourselves at teddy bear drinking coffee. after several hours we had consumed an absurd amount of coffee, were much too hyper for our own good, and reverted back to jr. high and thought it would be a lot of fun to walk to k-mart. we took a cup of coffee to go and began the three-mile walk in the freezing cold snow. about, oh, ten minutes into the walk we realized that this was a dumb idea, not fun at all, and that k-mart was much farther than we thought it was. in order to make the time go by faster and distract us from the cold we decided to sing every song that we knew by heart, starting with bohemian rhapsody. we had so much fun with that one that we switched gears and decided to quote wayne's world in its entirety (we rule at this, by the way). we were part way through when we arrived at k-mart, which was closed, and started making calls for someone to pick us up so we wouldn't have to walk back to teddy bear where my car was parked. we couldn't get a hold of anyone, but we still had wayne's world so we started the walk home. we were in the middle of "did you find bugs bunny attractive in a dress playing a girl bunny?" when we noticed that there was a group of shady looking guys walking behind us. fifteen minutes later they were still behind us and we started to get worried. we started imagining all the things they might do to us. like kidnap us or shank our achilles. we started to get angry, "who do they think they are? they can't mess with us." we formed a plan. if they tried anything we would go completely nuts, we would be a fury of teeth and nails. we got really worked up and brave until we passed through a section of the street with no lights and it seemed very very dark. we lost all our gumption and started running, yelling "no, not my achilles! anything but my achilles!" looking back, i don't think those guys were following us at all and probably thought we were complete freak shows. but that night forever solidified our fear of getting shanked in the achilles.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I lost my Achilles once, back in my prison days. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

rosie said...

I can just hear all three of us shouting, "SHANKED IN THE ACHILLIES"! I had forgotton where the term was derived from...I swear I can't figure out where my memories end and your's and Suz's begin. I guess that is the making of amazing friendships.