Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Drawn Into a Dark But Gentle World

All this thought about where to live lately makes the world seem so awesomely big. Right when I've got my mind set on Los Angeles a Wilco song comes over the headphones and I start thinking about Chicago, that is until a Yo La Tengo song gets me in the mood for the Northwest.

Food has been good to us lately. Onion bagels with cream cheese, cucumbers, smoked salmon, and black coffee for breakfast. Cotija cheese and corn tortilla quesadilla's topped with avocado and crema mexicana for lunch. And last night for dinner, pork loin rib chops seared with garlic and red wine, topped with Granny Smith apples and red onions sauteed in butter. And beer, with everything.

Lately I've been pulling out some books from my childhood, from an author who is probably more positively received by our blogosphere than other writers. His name is William B. "Bill" Watterson II, or simply Bill Watterson.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He's better known as the writer of "Calvin and Hobbes", a comic strip and book series that I've been reading since age nine, and lately, to the wife before bed to prevent nightmares. It's true. I adore these books more than most things, as well as the author for his goodness and taste in inspiration. He wrote a short piece for the L.A. Times in 1999, a few years after he quit, called "Drawn Into a Dark But Gentle World", in admiration of Charles Schulz as "Peanuts" was coming to an end. That, and he rules. It's because of him that my favorite jet was the F-4 Phantom, and that I was kicked out of Mr. Acoin's 5th grade class for drawing dinosaurs.

6 comments:

rebecca said...

I miss you two. this was a beautiful piece of writing matt :)

Keith said...

Matt, thank you for the view into your home, your family and your childhood. It is refreshing to see the tiny things of life do not go unnoticed; Your reading to Amber in the darkness to quell the nightmares is comforting.

Goodness is a thing that is hard to find. I will be coming back to your blog as well.

rosie said...

Pool food is the best kind. i can't wait to see you guys.

JP said...

yeah, thanks for the wonderful post. i remember the feeling you had everytime you purchased or recieved a new calvin and hobbes. it was glorious. reading the 'lazy sundays' one upstairs on a lazy sunday. what was the full title???

Andrew said...

yo la tengo is from the northeast, but i can see how they might evoke a nw feeling. blessings on your head. i am tipsy...

suzanne said...

Yeah....I think the Northwest is calling to you. Like a siren to the rocks. I miss you guys.