Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Indie Music and Baseball

- We went to the Patterson's last week for Guinness Floats. Great friends and great beverages. Whilst there Ryan loaded me up with piles of new tunes, an indie music Christmas if you will. Now, I have avoided a lot of this music over the past year or so. I'm not sure why. Some times I feel like most of the new hipstery stuff is just that, hipstery. It's bands with super clever names, super fuzzed out guitars, super compressed drums, and super out of tune vocals, and most of the time that's about it. But having taken the time to listen to what Ryan so generously bestowed upon me, I must say I have come around, at least 90% of the way. It's good. It's basically a continuation of what I used to listen to. I don't know where I quit listening to indie music. Maybe when I ran out of money, and walked into record stores to just look around. Maybe when I got distracted by life, and therefore put my money elsewhere. Maybe when I started listening to country for free on the radio. Not sure. All that to say... it's good stuff (90% of it). I've been particularly enjoying the following: Animal Collective, Atlas Sound, Beach House, Black Mountain, Bon Iver, F*** Buttons, Health, Jens Lekman, Panda Bear, Stars of the Lid, Times New Viking, Vampire Weekend, Yeasayer, among others.

- The Gloyd family, also very generous, included me on a trip to the L.A. Coliseum to celebrate the Dodgers 50th anniversary in Los Angeles. This was a great time. We were part of the largest baseball audience in history, along with 115,294 other fans. A good time indeed, though the home team lost.



New Modern Classic.

4 comments:

The Talbot Family said...

ok. Save one, I haven't heard ANY of these. But I'm really impressed with Bon Iver. Does that fall under the "hipster" category? He hunts his own meat for crying out loud.

kcs said...

all hipsters like to think, if they didn't live in such hip cities, they too would hunt their own meat.

Andrew said...

And that is true. They do.

Cool video.

rosie said...

matt,
i double dog dare you to ask nate about how much he likes vampire weekend on his myspace...good fun will be had